Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 131

We woke up and Cassi got ready for her GRE class. I dropped her off and then I refilled the propane tank for our grill. I was feeling like I needed to do some cooking so I decided to cook up a bag of the dungeness crab we have in our freezer from the Orcas Island trip this summer. I cooked all of the crab and spent the next 3 1/2 hours cleaning it. I watched a couple of shows on the computer and sat there and cleaned 7 crab halves! By the time I was finsihed it was time to get Cassi. We went to the grocery store and got a few things for dinner. With all the crab I cleaned I decided wer were going to have Cioppino tonight!

Homemade Cioppino with grilled Mahi Mahi
Filet of Mahi Mahi seasoned with a dash of Old Bay Seasoning and sprayed with Olive oil for the grill. ( I grilled this when my soup was almost finished to make sure it was nice and hot!)

For The Soup . . .
1/2 medium onion chopped
1-2 medium carrot chopped
1-2 celery chopped
2 cloves garlic sliced
1 can of whole stewed tomatoes, pureed
1 32oz chicken stock
1 bag of Trader Joe's Seafood Medley (scallops, calamari, and shrimp)
1 1/2 cups of lump crab meat (dungeness: a lot of work!)
1 Tblsp of Olive oil to saute the onions, carrots, and celery.
Old Bay Seaoning, to taste
White Wine just 1/4 cup, maybe a 1/2 cup.
Bay Leaf
Hot Peppery pepper blend: Black, Chili Pepper, and Cayenne.

I made my soup in my cast iron skillet, my big one! I sauteed the Onions Carrots and Celery, then added the seasoning and the white wine. I let that simmer down and then added the tomato puree and the chicken stock and brought everything to a boil. This is when I added the seafood medley and the crab meat and garlic. I let this simmer down until seafood was fully cooked and the broth had slightly thickened. To plate: I ladled the soup into a bowl and placed the freshly grilled Mahi Mahi filet in the middle, then I sprinkled some Fleur de Sel on top and served with grilled crostinis. (Baguette sliced on the diagonal and brushed with olive oil. I grilled the bread on both sides until brown and crispy and right before serving, I rubbed with garlic.) The soup was so good!

After our bellies were filled with that great cioppino we sat down and watched a movie- Traffic. For Dessert we each had a cup of organic applesauce, sprinkled with cinnamon.

It was an awesome night. So nice to just stay at home and relax with one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment