Thursday, November 05, 2009

Day 52

I am home from school and feeling really great about the week being almost over. I feel like the quarter has flown by so far and I am staying quite busy. One of Cassi's best friends is coming over for dinner tonight and I am making Mahi Tacos again. I made a comment earlier about how I had to use up what I had open. Well, I think it's a good thing to think about. If I am cooking with all of these great fresh and local ingredients then its is obvious to say that these things have an expiration date, so often I make a series of dishes that use similar ingredients. Like how the past few days I have used lots of swiss chard and tonight I am using avocados and cilantro and peppers that I need to use. In a way it's like this. . . I look into my fridge and what's inside staring back at me, tells me what I am making for dinner. It's my job to take those same ingredients and tweak them so we don't get board.

I told you I was going to make a chicken soup to have around, and I did! It is really good and has plenty of good veggies in it. With a Brown Rice medley that has Long Grain Brown Rice, Black Barley and Daikon Radish seeds. (I got the mix at Trader Joes of course!)

Chicken and Vegetable with Brown Rice Soup:

Chicken Breast, diced and precooked
I medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic crushed and diced
3 carrots
3-4 celery stalks
4 red potatoes cubed,
two big handfuls of washed baby spinach, (you can run your knife through this if you like)
Chicken stalk: you'll need to use quite a bit, because the rice soaks a lot up!
1 cup of rice medley, dry.
Spices used: Bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper, parsley . . . I think that's it.

Get you're garlic and mirepoix going in a large pot, and then add the potatoes. Everything should sweat down nicely and then add your precooked chicken. Add your Stock and then your Rice, bring to a boil and let it cook away. Cook until rice is done and potatoes are tender. Add the spinach ad it'll cook up in seconds. You can always add whatever you want to soups, that's kinda what soup is, right? You could add swiss chard, kale or any other leafy green if you don't want spinach. It's a great way to get those extra dark greens down without noticing them, so if you don't like the taste all that much but you want all that nutrients, throw it in a soup.

Yes yes, when in doubt, make a soup.

For lunch: I was at school but I packed some lunch snacks: oatmeal (I burned my hand really bad with this today :( Carrots and radishes. Some Trail mix (cashews, almonds, and cranberries)

No comments:

Post a Comment