Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day 222 (Saturday)

I woke up really early this morning because I was so nervous to play soccer. I was feeling really anxious. It was not about winning or losing I think it was just so much for me to take in. Here I am, back where it happened. Last year I didn’t even make it through the first half of the first game. When I woke up this morning all I could think about was getting through that first half. But I know that I am ready and SO much healthier than I was a year ago. Making it though the weekend will be a great feeling and so rewarding considering how far I have come.

For Breakfast: Coffee. I sliced some apple for Cassi and our two roommates (Deirdre and Katharine) And a Luna bar.

Our first game was at eleven and when we arrived at the playing fields we were already weary of the heat. It was a scorcher, maybe not for the locals but for us Seattle girls anything above 70 makes for a tough game!


We started out really well! The division that the team was placed into is really good. We knew that we should probably be in a lower division but the spots filled up so quickly. Within the first five minutes of the game Deirdre, our center-mid and our hotel roommate, got slammed in the face by the other team and broke her nose. There was blood everywhere, what a way to start. As unlucky as that was, the rest of us made it through the game in one piece. We lost 2-1 but we played well. When the end-of-game whistle blew I felt all my anxiousness melt away, I knew I was going to be okay through the tournament, regardless of the score board. My knee felt great, not even sore and I was feeling in-shape, aggressive and quick!
The other two teams we played today were incredible, we just couldn’t hang, but we definitely worked out butts off. We went back to the hotel feeling tired and proud of our selves for making it through the day. I am the youngest player on our team and almost every single person we played against was a few years younger than me, I didn’t feel too bad when I realized many of the players on my team could be the mothers of our opponents.

Our team had pre-ordered boxed lunches for today, which ended up being an awesome idea. Our team manager is so organized.

For Lunch: Salad of romaine with grilled chicken breast, almonds and sesame seeds, wonton strips and a sweet Asian vinaigrette. It was really good and exactly what I needed, we had ourselves quite the picnic sitting in the grass by the fields.

We got back to the hotel and all had to shuffle through the shower to get ready for our dinner reservations. The four of us girls in the rooms popped open a bottle of champagne while we were getting ready. Cassi and I set up a table for us at one of the Il Fornaio restaurants at the Venetian Hotel. Dinner was fantastic and they really took care of us. It was fun for all of us, as sunburned, bruised and sore as were to dress up and enjoy a fancy dinner.

For Dinner: Grilliata Pesce e Polenta. I had a grill medley of scallops, prawns, salmon, and white fish, with broccolini, and a piece of firm grilled polenta. It was very nice and I didn’t feel like I was cheating on my “diet”. Cassi and I also shared a salad with grilled pear, grapes, field greens, radicchio, and toasted pecans with a pomegranate vinaigrette. We also shared some nice red wine!

Then home and to bed. I was exhausted.

1 comment:

  1. My word Kate! You look so happy, healthy and beautiful! I love ya and can't wait to all hangout in just about a month. You're rad :]

    tim

    ReplyDelete